First challenge: I have 12 hours to prepare for a trip I never planned

I kept rambling about change and new challenges, but I've realized the patterns I developed in time are sometimes hard to overpass. Luckily, I have friends that know when to insist.. 
*ding dong (not that sound, it was actually my phone ringing)
"Want to come to Austria with me? We're leaving tomorrow morning" [...]

And there I was, on my way to Austria. With way more luggage than I'd normally get, and hoping to catch some of the experiences I've been looking for. My expectations have changed in the last years: people, places, conversations, actions. My sudden trip checked all the boxes at specific times and places. I'm gonna tell you about it - today we're talking atmosphere. Next time, we talk about group chemistry. 



I missed the mountains. I haven't had the chance to play with snow for a while now, and Murau-Kreischberg came like a picture-perfect Christmas: ski slopes, mulled wine, wood buildings, lovely interior design and fir trees.

Each of those offered me something. The ski slopes reminded me of the first time I got on a snowboard. It was another trip I didn't prepare for. So it seems that what sticks in my mind is always sudden. I'm not gonna insist on talking about Austrian ski slopes. We all know they're a good choice during winter. So let's focus on what else we need.

The mood created is essential. It's the context that allows you to build moments a certain way. This time, I had in mind pieces from a book I read when I was in 6th grade. It talked about adventure and coziness, describing a log cabin and snow that covers everything.
For a few hours I was there: freezing in the snow and enjoying mulled wine inside the log cabin from the 2nd stop - Kreischbergwirt.


Now, the space I stay in has become important. There is a time and place for tents and another time and place for 4 stars hotels. This time I ended up in Alpenblick and Relax Hotels and I accomplished my luxury oriented fantasy. Don't overthink it - it's actually right down my alley. Minimalism and warmth in the same design. Of course I "stole" ideas. After all, my day to day job is related to architecture. Gotta learn something everywhere I go.
From here, I imprinted in my mind the bar, the wooden wall applications that appear here and there, the lighting. Oh, and the bathrooms.

My dear friend, Dunia, is concerned with having white sheets. I understand it, but my obsessions lie with bathrooms. The ones I've seen in those 2 hotels ticked all the boxes. Since both the rooms and the bathrooms are green, it's gonna look so damn weird in my feed, but I'm showing you the pictures anyway. After all, that - and not the words is what convinces us to pick a specific place to the detriment of another.



But let's go back to what I enjoyed the most. Down at the bar I took my first pool game lessons and I drank red wine. The food was also excellent. I lean more towards vegetarian food, but I had to try bits of everything. Fast forward to later that evening - I ended up in the hotel wellness area. The only complaint I have is that the pool shouldn't have been covered outside - after all who wouldn't enjoy going from +85 C degrees to -13?

Other important points in this trip: I stole someone's robe (I swear it was not intended), I drank more mulled wine than in the last 2 months and I think I'm on the right path from transforming acquaintances into friends. After all, what's a group trip if not a chance to know people better in a new setting. I'd also add fishing compliments to my success list, but that's a story for another time.. a time soon to come.



I've read somewhere that we change the way we act when we switch languages and places. We should, maybe, freeze time and create moments that have a definite start and end, like small action bubbles in our lives. Austria is a small bubble that just added the Murau region story, next to the Villach, Graz, Linz and Wien stories I've been creating in the past 10 years.
Share:

Post a Comment

Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes