Fashion - my process & rambling

A few years ago, my interest in fashion was close to zero. Basically any 12 year old girl with a slight interest in fashion might've known more than I did. I could not remember designer or model names for the love of it, and I was unable to make a good composition for my body type unless I spent 1 hour in front of the closet.

That's when Youtube recommended me Justine's videos. And that's exactly how my fashion journey started: looking into materials, textures and waving. "101 things I've learnt in Fashion School" was next. Now I'm getting visual. For a while now I've been spending my free time on Pinterest trying to get comfortable enough with fashion trends, collections, designers and color combinations.

My wish is to create a wardrobe that is versatile and small enough that I can easily pick 2 different garments and put them together, ending up with a wearable combo. Some call this a capsule wardrobe, other call it minimalist, I just say it's some kind of curated clothing style. 



Easiest way for me to get to this, was to first understand what I like, what I want and what I have. It's an ongoing work - with my closet, my mood-boards and my online hunting for awesome items. I won't go into detail much today, but I will present you my "process" in 4-ish steps. I'll get into more details in other articles, but until then, I just want to show you this tool that can make all the difference for all the visual ladies out there. 

1. Get on Pinterest. 
Make an account and try different keywords to find what you'd like. It can go from "fashion" to "street style" to "ralph lauren 2019". You can get in detail or stay on a general track. It doesn't matter. You'll see this will change organically once you start to get the hang of what you actually know and enjoy.

2. Make mood boards for (ideally) each season.
Pin everything you'd love to wear: any type of clothing, no matter the style, color, texture etc. You'll see Pinterest is smart and will show you similar images. Your home page is like a living organism: changing again and again with every pin to add to your boards. Expect this step to be a long journey. It takes time to build boards that can actually help you.

3. Find patterns & analyse.
When you open your board, what do you see? Masculine outfits? Colorful clothing? Monochrome? We tend to pin more than once things that we're most drawn to.
Analyse the patterns that you observe. Do you have similar pieces in your closet? Does that kind of cut fit you? Do you actually look good in those colors?

4. Ping-pong.
Nowadays, when each American throws away in average more than 36 kg of clothing per year - the best thing we can do is to work with what we already have.
So I'm gonna tell you to not throw away what you have and run to the first Zara or H&M shop in order to buy a whole new wardrobe.



Change it in time. Add pieces that seem to be versatile from your boards - the ones that you can find in most of the pictures. Put them together with your existing clothing and go from there. After at least a year of this exercise, you'll start to see what was "trend" and what was your fashion comfort zone. You'll start giving away clothing after a while, but before doing that, just make sure you can't reuse it anymore. After all, it's better to take an existing (way too big) skirt to the tailor and adjust it to your body, than to give it away and rush to the nearest shop to get a similar one, a size smaller. 

PS. When you buy a new piece of clothing, get one that's worth the price: think what you're gonna use it for and check the materials, how you can dress it up or down, how difficult it is to make it look good (imagine all those skirts that wrinkle after the first 5 minutes of wear-time). 

PPS. Just a though about basic wardrobes: pay attention to those damn colors: use neutrals and colors that go well together. (and I mean neutrals for your skin/hair tone, not necessary the camel - nude whatever that is/was so trendy during fall). 

I'd still have so much left to ramble about. (textures, weaving, accessories) Maybe I should start a vlog. Too bad I don't trust my sudden mimicry enough to record myself. 
I also want to tell you more about sustainable fashion - but more on that later. I don't want to be an hypocrite. Just a small part of my wardrobe is sustainable. I just hope 2020 it's gonna be a time when I take more steps in the right direction. 


Share:

Post a Comment

Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes